Friday 18 October 2013

Dishcloths / Facecloths


I have been making dishcloths and facecloths of late.  At Hobbycraft there is some gorgeous cotton yarn from Puppets.  Only availble in bright white or vanilla cream colours but I have been looking at it for a while wondering just what I could do with it to show off it's natural, rustic look.

Aha!  Facecloths.


I found this pattern for a scrubbie - so made that first.  Not quite sure what to think of it, the pattern says to use acrylic yarn but I didn't think that would be very nice to wash with, so I went with the cotton.  But it just looks a bit scruffy, if you get what I mean.


I then just decided to work some squares.


The first one was good old plain double crochet (or single crochet if you are reading from the US) but worked into the BACK of the loops to give a lovely ridged effect.  I did two rows of DC all the way round to finish it off.




The next one was treble crochet (or double crochet if you are reading from the US), again working into the back of the loops for texture.  I think this one is a bit 'open' though, I prefer the double crochet one I think.




The next one I did was a mixture of both - almost like a rib stitch in knitting.  I did 1 x DC, 1 x TR, 1 x DC, 1 x TR and so on.  Working back I worked the DC's into the TR's and the TR's into the DC's.  Does that make sense?  I edged it with a DC all the way round.  I quite like this one.


I used a 6mm hook throughout, as this cotton is quite thick, thicker than DK.

I am popping one of these facecloths into the BIRTHDAY BLOG BOX,  it is the first item to go in there  :)


2 comments:

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.