Sunday 10 February 2013

Spicy Vegetable Puffs

I had a load of potatoes that needed used, but nothing much else.  What to make?

I found a couple of carrots in the bottom of the fridge and a bag of peas in the freezer  (there are always peas in my freezer) and decided to make some veggie samosas.

Here they are:


This is the recipe I use, it is a mix-up of recipes I have used in the past and adapted to suit my taste:  Nothing is properly measured as it is usually a "use up" recipe.

What you need....

  • Potatoes (4 or 5)
  • Carrots (3 or 4)
  • Frozen Peas (a good shakeful)
  • Sunflower Oil (blob or two)
  • Garlic (frozen, fresh, whatever)
  • Cumin Seeds (shake)
  • Garam Masalla (1/2 tsp ish)
  • Coriander powder (1/2 tsp ish)
  • Curry powder (to taste - mine is medium and I use around 4 tsps)
  • Chilli powder or a shake of dried chilli flakes
  • 1 litre of veggie stock
What you do....
  • Peel and chop the potatoes and carrots into small chunks.
  • Heat the oil in a non stick decent sized saucepan, drop in the cumin seeds and garlic and cook until they brown.
  • Add the Coriander powder, curry powder, chilli and the Garam Massalla, stir.
  • Add the potato and carrot chunks and stir, making sure all the veg are coated.
  • Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the veg starts to go just mushy.

But, I had loads and loads of potato mix left, and as it happens a packet of puff pastry in the fridge.


So I made them into some spicy veggie puffs to take into work tomorrow  :)


What you do....

  • Roll out pastry.
  • Cut with large cutter (mine is around 6")
  • Blob some potato mix into the centre.
  • Dampen round the edges then fold and seal (they will pop open)
  • Sprinkle with onion seeds.
  • Pop into oven at Gas Mark 6 for around 20 mins or until golden brown.

Enjoy  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.