This is a very sweet cake, so might be better served as a desert. It is the original BE-RO recipe for basic sponge cake but adapted to suit.
What you need:
- 4 Eggs
- 6 oz Sugar
- 6 oz SR Flour
- Vanilla Essence ( a plop)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- half a jar of Ginger Preserve
- 250g softened Butter
- 500g Icing Sugar
What you do:
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them a little.
- Add the sugar, vanilla essence, cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk until pale and frothy.
- Sieve and fold in the flour with a metal spoon.
- Pour into a lined large baking tray and pop in the oven at Gas mark 7 for about 10 mins. Do not overcook as it will crack when you roll it.
- Place some greasproof paper on the worktop with a sprinkling of sugar on it.
- Turn out the swiss roll onto the sugar and peel off the paper.
- Carefully roll the cake up and leave to cool in the paper wrap.
- Meanwhile, put the softened butter in a bowl with half of the icing sugar.
- Whisk until it is all mixed in.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and whisk again.
- Put in half a jar of ginger preserve and stir to mix.
- Taste, good isn't it? :)
- Unroll the cooled cake and smother it with icing before rolling up again.