Wednesday 5 November 2014

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe


I follow Vegetarian Times on Facebook, and THIS recipe popped up on my newsfeed.   "Ooooo, that looks nice", I thought to myself, while my tummy rumbled like an earthquake  (even though it was just past 9.00am and I had eaten my  breakfast!)

Anywhoooo, I had a quick shufty  at the recipe, then decided to adapt it to fit in with what I had in the cupboard.

First of all let's talk about "cups".  Obviously they are an American thing, but I love using them, saves a lot of measuring and weighing.  You can buy cup sets in supermarkets now, get one.  The last ones I got were from the £1.00 shop and cost just..... well, £1.00!

If you don't have a cup set, then this 'half cup' measure that I am using holds rice and lentils up to 100g.  This recipe serves 3 good portions of 3 stuffed leaves each.

What you need:
  • Savoy Cabbage
  • Brown Rice
  • Lentils
  • Chopped Onions
  • Spices
  • Curry Powder
  • Veggie Stock
  • Tomato Sauce, or passatta, or something tomatoey
  • Grated Cheese
What you do:


So, into my mini slow cooker went a half cup of rice.  


Then a half cup of green lentils.


A good teaspoon of Garam Masala, and two large teaspoons of curry powder.


Garam Masala is just a spice blend, if you don't have any, just chuck in what you like.


I added some frozen chopped onions.  (I hate onions, but strangely I feel obliged to put them into things)
Finally I added 4 cups (8 half cups) of water and a vegetable Oxo cube.

Then I turned it on high and left it for 4 hours or so.


Meanwhile, I took a large savoy cabbage and careful peeled off 9 good sized leaves.

You will need to trim back some of the stalk as it's a chewy old sod.


Boil a pan of water and cook the leaves for 10 mins.  Have a cold pan of water ready, then dump them in after the cooking time, then pat them dry on a clean tea-towel.


Add a good spoon of the mixture into the leaf and roll up into a parcel.


Lay in an overproof dish

Continue.


I did two dishes, as it will only be me eating this, I will have one for dinner, one for tomorrow's lunch and one in the freezer for a later date.


Pour on your tomatoes, whether it be a jar of sauce, a tin of chopped or even some tomato soup!
Sprinkle with some grated cheese to taste.

You can now put this to one side until you are ready to eat.  


Half an hour before eating, pop it in a hot oven, Gas 6 for about 30 minutes.


Serve  :)



This recipe is part of #ShareYourTeaTuesday

ps: The Amazon links I've scattered throughout the page are affiliated  if you click and buy I might get a few pennies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.