Thursday 30 January 2014

Parsnip & Ginger soup with toasted chilli seeds

I love parsnips, and I love soup - so what is better than parsnip soup?  Well I will tell you, parsnip soup with a bit of warming ginger, that's what!


When I spotted the parsnips were on offer for just 60p a bag, I grabbed them quick smart :)

So, to make this soup.....
You will need:
  • 4 or so parsnips
  • A stick of celery
  • Veggie stock
  • Ginger 
  • Paprika
  • Olive Oil
  • Seeds
  • Chilli flakes

(I got this huge bag of ginger for just 50p in a supermarket in Marrakesh - I bought loads  :)  )


What you do:
  • Heat up a little oil and chop up the celery into small bits.  Fry in the oil along with 2 teaspoons of ginger and a teaspoon of paprika.
  • Add a pint and a half of veggie stock along with the chopped parsnips and simmer for 20 mins or until parsnips are soft.
  • Blitz. 
How easy was that?

All this can be done in a pan, but I use my gorgeously wonderful soup maker from Cuisinart.  Pricey, but worth it in my opinion.  It is at the top of my favourite kitchen gadget list.



For the toasted seed topping, take some seeds, I used this Three Seed mix from Morrisons, but any seeds will do.

  • Heat up a little olive oil and drop in a good sprinkle of dried chilli flakes.
  • Pop in a handful of seeds and toast until a lovely dark brown colour.


  • Serve on top of the soup.


Slurp.



ps: The Amazon links I've scattered throughout the page are affiliated  if you click and buy I might get a few pennies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.