As you can space the beads out to suit, you don't need an awful lot, just a few, good sized, colourful ones.
You will need:
- 1 meter 2mm Leather Thong
- 7 Large Hole Glass Beads
- 2 Coil Crimps
- 1 Sprung Hook
What you do:
- Tie a knot approx 2cm off the middle of the leather. Pull quite tightly, but do not over stretch the leather.
- Add a bead to the longer length of the leather and tie a second knot close to the bead to hold it in place.
- Leave approx 6cm of leather and then tie another knot. This will be the place where your next bead will be.
- Add your beads as in step 2, spacing them approx 6cm apart and knotting before and after each ones. Leave approx 3-4cm at each end.
- Add a coil crimp to both ends of the leather. To do this you simply squeeze the very last coil of the crimp hard down onto the leather. (***see footnote)
- Join the two coil crimps together with the sprung hook to form the clasp.
© Sue Simmons / The Bead Shed
*** Now, let's talk about those pesky little coil crimps, buy more than you need as you will almost definitely mess a few up when you are trying for the first time. If you don't happen to squeeze them completely out of shape you will find them pinging across the room and you will never see them again! You do just squash the very last coil down to grip the cord, no more than the last one, and press it very tightly as to get a real good grip. You will get the hang of it, it just takes a little practise.