Friday 19 April 2013

Mixed Veg & Edam Pie

I always have a bag of mixed veg in my freezer, it is so versatile.  Brilliant when the kids were young as I could make all sorts of different things with it on the cheap.

Fresh vegetables can be really expensive, and do not keep well.  Have you noticed that?  I few years ago carrots used to keep for ages, if you don't use them within a couple of days now you are throwing them out (or feeding them to the guinea pigs as in my case)

Frozen vegetables are generally quite horrible, in my opinion anyway, chewy, soggy, black bits, carrot tops - bleurgh!  But you can use them in a way that they end up being very tasty.

I have quite a few recipes that I use with the same bag of mixed veg, this particular one was from a good few years ago when I was 17 and went to stay on the Isles Of Scilly with a friends family.  As Islanders they only did a food shop once a month, so this was an easy "freezer" meal they could bash up from very little.


Mixed Veg and Edam Pie.

You will need:

  • Bag of mixed veg  (mine is the supermarkets own brand for £1.00 a bag)
  • A wedge of Edam cheese
  • Packet of pastry (shortcrust, puff - or make your own)
  • Egg or milk to glaze
What you do:
  • Roll out the pastry and line a suitable pie dish with it.   (Please ignore my horrible baking tin, I have some lovely pie-dishes but they are family sized, and with 2 out of 3 of my children having flown the nest, I no longer need to make huge family sized pies!)
  • Slice the cheese thinly, one average size wedge will do a family sized pie.
  • Lay some cheese slices on the pastry.
  • Add a few handfuls of mixed veg (no need to thaw)
  • Add another layer of cheese
  • Add another layer of veg, then finish with cheese.
  • Dampen the edges of the pastry with a little water, then pop a pastry lid on and glaze with beaten egg (or milk)
  • Cook at Gas 7 for around 30 mins or until a nice golden brown colour.
  • Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.