Daddy L is diabetic and I have to admit I nag him constantly about his diet. So how could I present him with a cake after nagging him for years?
I know, I will make him a diabetic one.
I Googled "diabetic cake recipe" and decided on a carrot cake from SPLENDA®.
Here is the recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F ( 160C Fan oven)
- Line a 2lb loaf tin or two 15cm (6”) sandwich tins with baking parchment
- Place all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and mix together
- Place the mixture into the tin/s and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on tin size)
Icing the cake
- Mix all the icing ingredients together. Cover and place in the fridge until needed
- When the carrot cake is cooked remove from tin/s and place on a wire rack until cooled
- Spread the icing over the cake, or if using sandwich tins, use icing to sandwich cakes together, and serve
I bought some cute little white chocolate carrots from Sainsburys to decorate it.
The cake looked quite nice. The 'icing' was certainly tasty - almost cheesecake like. But the cake didn't taste too good. It was more loafy than cakey, would have probably been better with a spread of butter rather than the icing.
Happy 75th Birthday Daddy L, hope you enjoy your wine more than the cake :) (p.s. that's an onion ring he is eating, not the cake :) )