Monday 20 February 2012

Tiger Beads

Each time I fire up my torch and go to my shed, I seem to produce similar beads. I seem to be stuck in a style rut and need to break it.

When I am at Higham Hall, teaching basic glass beadmaking, I always take four Lampworking books with me for the students to borrow, but I have to admit I have only ever flicked through them myself, so often the students will come to me with a page open saying how lovely a bead looks.

So, this time I brought the books home with me, and promised myself I would try out some of the tutorials.

The bead I fancied trying first was the Tiger bead from "Passing The Flame", by Corina Tettinger.



I made myself promise not to pick up any other glass, or frit, or tools, than the ones needed to make this particular bead.  I didn't even take my usual glass of wine with me !!

I pulled some stringers, made some twisties, dipped my mandrels and off I went.

I didn't have one of the glasses suggested - Dark Amber - so I made a few with 'Dark Topaz' and some more with 'Straw'  This was the only variation I made.

Of course this morning I was chomping at the bit to get to the kiln.  But when I did I was quite chuffed with the results.

Dark Topaz based beads.


Straw based beads.



And a Straw based focal bead.


Wonder what I shall try next.....

2 comments:

  1. Great beads Sooz, I like the straw colour best. I think it's good to force ourselves out of our comfort zone sometimes. It's definitely where I learn new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judith, that's interesting you like the paler ones, I much prefer the darker ones :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.